When I first envisioned this blog, one of the main concerns I had was how I'd differentiate it from the countless other travel blogs available on the interwebs. Truth be told, it's such a major hot topic now that any true originality can come only from the content, not from a design perspective. Specifically, it means that the experiences I've had is what separates this blog from any other. Obviously.
So, goals and expectations aside, I suppose it's time for introductions. My own induction into the traveler ranks really began in 2001, when I spent 3 weeks in England and Portugal. Granted, I had traveled before then, throughout the western United States and parts of Mexico, but I think I was too young at the time to fully appreciate the notion of traveling as an interest. It was this trip to Europe that truly sparked a greater passion within me, though I wouldn't fully grow into it until years later. Last year, to be precise.
This past summer, I broke new barriers on what I personally was able and willing to do. I spent 5 weeks traveling throughout South America, which meant that for the first time, I would be traveling entirely on my own, at least for portions of the journey. The majority of the time I was with my cousin and her friend, the former of which was well versed in solo travel, while the latter was more or less in a similar position to me. The experience of this more independent form of travel ended up being priceless, perhaps even life changing. Daunting, without a doubt, to show up in a strange country at 1:00 AM, after nearly 24 hours of flights and stopovers, and being driven to a small hostel on a back road, protected by steel gates and bars. However, it didn't take more than a few hours into the following morning for my apprehension to all but disappear. More on this another time, but for now, I'll try to keep this introduction relatively brief and concise.
What I hope to primarily accomplish with this blog is two things. First, I want to inform others to the best of my ability, to encourage travel, especially in those who are very much on the fence about it (as I once was), and to provoke thought and discussion, whether on this blog in comment form, or among my readers and their peers. The second is to make this blog a sort of catalog for my experiences with traveling, both those past, as well as those to come.
So, I believe it's safe to assume that if you've made it this far, you are of a like mind to my own. Or perhaps you're just polite. Regardless, allow me to thank you for reading, and I do hope you continue to read and enjoy what I have to share.
No comments:
Post a Comment